Sunday, November 11, 2012

Just A Vent

This post is more of a venting session about my lovely Saturday. The day started off about normal, nothing odd until the first call. I was calling  ahead to make sure someone would be there. Well the customer wants me to diagnose the problem over the phone. Now this is literally impossible to do from 15 miles away, but we try to make all customers feel good about there input no matter how  unrealistic/stupid it might be. I get there and it's an older gentleman. Now everything he says to me is at yelling level. And he explains that he is on oxygen also and can't be off it for too long. Very loudly and very early on a Saturday morning. While he stands there watching me do my thing, he's breathing/snorting like a bulldog looking for a toy stuck under the couch. Like 10 minutes of this breath, snort, yell, I thought he wasn't supposed to be off the oxygen for long?! Once I got done with that my next trouble was another older fellow. He was fine, no trouble with him. Win for me there. Next job was an escalated order from my boss, now these hardly EVER go good, just for the fact that if my boss got it, then someone has called because they are pissed off! But we try to stay positive glass is half full. I get to an old single wide that looks like it got here via tornado, but "Everybody has to live somewhere!" I knock on the door and a guy walks out bare footed and bleeding? Now when I say bleeding, no ER or zombie apocalypse crap, but bleeding enough for a few band aids. His feet were bleeding which were almost at my eye level since he was on the porch and I was on the ground. Not very warm feeling to be around someones dried out, bleeding, needing a pedicure footsies. He was also bleeding from one elbow and both hands. His 2 dogs had just gotten into a fight and he had to break them up. Fair enough. Now his grandson which was probably like 10 was with him. This kid was about 8 inches from EVERYTHING I needed to do. Just an FYI to anyone out there, if a repair person comes to your house, please keep all children out of his or her way. This kid wouldn't shut up either, he asked me everything except how children were conceived. Every once in a while the old man would yell "get the hell out of his way, go play with the dogs!" Wait, you mean the ones that just used you as a chew toy, oh ok? Did make me chuckle a little I won't lie. Now my final customer of the day was fine until after I left. He called me because he couldn't get his laptop to work wireless. No big deal, I can walk him through this over the  phone on my way back to the office. Now the drive from where I was when he called back to my office is around 20 minutes, 20 minutes! I got back to the office, unloaded my stuff from the van to my personal vehicle, took what work stuff I needed into the office, got to my desk and put everything away. At this point it was in the range of 25-30 minutes on the phone with him just trying to explain to him how to plug an Ethernet cord into his laptop then into the modem/router. We never got to the point in which I would have had to explain how to get into his router. Seeing that this was going nowhere anytime fast, I disconnected the call. Wrong thing to do? I think not, people can only laugh for so long before you need to walk away.

Hope you have a great Sunday people, and thanks for listening,
Marc